Dear Grandpa

Dear Grandpa,

It's been almost a year since I got the phone call that you passed away. I remember that day. My alarm had gone off at 6:30 in the morning because I was suppose to babysit at 7:45. I heard my phone going off just before 7 and it was my moms specialize ringtone. I didn't answer it because I wanted to sleep more. I hadn't been sleeping well because I was pregnant. Not sure if my mom or dad told you. Anyways right after my phone stopped ringing I heard Robin call me. It was her specialized ringtone. the thing is our phone service is weird out here in Bethel. I haven't had their special ringtones work in quite awhile. Thinking on it now it was most likely a God thing that the ringtones went through. I don't keep my phone in my room at night so it is easier to ignore. Anyways when I heard Robin's ringtone at 7 in the morning I knew it was something serious. James happened to be out in the kitchen and reached the phone first. He had to tell my that you passed away. I cried a lot that day. My poor kids didn't really understand what was happening. I am glad James was home that day as he was a big help. I hadn't seen you in two and a half years at that point and now I won't see you again. I do miss you and I think a lot about you. I am thankful that you got to meet Payton and Emma. I'm just sorry you didn't get to meet Ezra who was born three months later. He is a really awesome laid back baby. You would have loved him.

When they were planning your funeral mom had asked me if I had anything I wanted to share and she would share it for me. At the time I couldn't think of anything. I was trying to process what was going on. My day was a long day. I lost you in the morning and then 13 hours after I got the phone call that you were gone James was told his grandpa had passed away. In less then 24 hours we both lost our last grandfather.  So now that its been almost a year I thought I would share a memory or two. I can't sleep right now with all these thoughts going through my head.

One memory I have is that you and grandma took Robin, Brian, and I up to Sault Ste Marie. I don't remember exactly how old I was but it was when you guys had the blue truck. Anyways on the drive up there we starting having a burping contest. I have no clue who one, but for some reason that part of the trip sticks out to me.

Another memory is that you and grandma use to have a candy dish that sat on the counter. You occasionally had Necco wafer candy. They were the small little packages. I really liked those thing. The brown ones were my favorite. I couldn't tell you what other candy you kept in there, but I do remember the Necco's.

I also remember playing outside in the bronco vehicle you had sitting in the side yard. I remember playing in it with my cousins whenever the whole family was at your house.

One of the best memories that I have is the Memorial day parade in Lowell. You were in the parade with all the veterans. I loved seeing you there. The last few years that I was able to see it you rode in a car. My last time in Lowell and the last week I got to see you was the week of Memorial day. I got to see you in that car and then sitting in your wheelchair during the service at the cemetery. I got some good pictures of you that day. One while you were in the car going down main street and another one with my parents, Kim, Hannah, Jenny, Dave, Carter, Makenna, and Jackson. Robin couldn't be there and James had stayed back at the house with Payton and Emma since we couldn't count on them to be quite at that ceremony.

Grandpa I know there are more memories and I will eventually remember them as years go by. But I also should probably get to bed. It's 11 pm here and my kids are early birds. I just want to let you know that I love you.  I'm also adding a few pictures of you that I have.

Love Becky

Image may contain: 8 people, including Dave Morehouse, people smiling, people standing, tree and outdoor
May 2016

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling
The last parade I got to see you in. May 2016


Image may contain: 3 people, indoor
My last picture with you 
No photo description available.
My wedding rehearsal with Kim being funny.

Image may contain: 2 people
My wedding May 2010


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At the end

My need for Fellowship.

Trusting.